Activity for Week 3 - the Public Sphere
Next week we will be holding a mock-trial based on the readings on the public sphere.
The charge is:
THE INTERNET DOES NOT CREATE A PUBLIC SPHERE
1. In the comments section please add links to articles/blogs/social networks/anything that you think demonstrates either that:
a. the internet DOES create a public sphere
or
b. the internet DOES not create a public sphere
2. make sure you leave a one-sentence/word comment saying whether you think your example is positive or negative
I'll leave a sample comment showing you what I mean
Please come to next week's session prepared to discuss!
The charge is:
THE INTERNET DOES NOT CREATE A PUBLIC SPHERE
1. In the comments section please add links to articles/blogs/social networks/anything that you think demonstrates either that:
a. the internet DOES create a public sphere
or
b. the internet DOES not create a public sphere
2. make sure you leave a one-sentence/word comment saying whether you think your example is positive or negative
I'll leave a sample comment showing you what I mean
Please come to next week's session prepared to discuss!
I think the internet does create a public sphere... eg
ReplyDeletehttp://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/
t
ReplyDeletehttp://jakeg.co.uk/essays/habermas
ReplyDeleteTo an extent, I believe that the internet provides the basis for a public sphere. However, I am quite suspicious whether it can actully create one.
yes and no. there are certain instances, where people come together and have rational-critical debate how to organize society best, (e.g.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.bostonreview.net/BR36.5/ndf_t_m_scanlon_libertarianism_liberty.php
http://www.bostonreview.net/BR36.5/ndf_t_m_scanlon_libertarianism_liberty.php)
also politicians use the internet to start conversations with the internet public, for instance Ed Miliband's AskEd events on twitter (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15293934)
BUT
it only goes so far as the internet is incredibly self-selective. People still choose to read the news sources that best fit their ideoological view and they are unlikely to come together on internet forums to discuss politics with people from different political backgrounds in a civilzed, rational tone. In this regard, the internet seems more fragmented than constituting one public sphere.